SSSQ Recipe: Baklava
These recipes are Savta (Grandma) Miranda Mussafi’s famous signature Iraqi dishes!
Submitted by Sally Maimran, mother of Jacob (4B) & Emily (3A) Maimran
Savta Miranda’s Famous Baklava
1 lb Apollo Fillo Dough
2 cups Canola or vegetable oil
4 cups chopped walnuts
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp cardamom
1) Chop walnuts and then mix with sugar and cardamom.
2) Place 9 fillo sheets on bottom of pan.
3) Spread ½ of the nut mixture.
4) Cover with 9 fillo sheets.
5) Spread the rest of the nut mixture and cover with another 9 sheets.
6) Score the baklava into diamonds, triangles or squares with a very sharp knife.
7) Pour oil between the lines using a spoon to seep through all the sheets.
8) Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until the top turns brown.
9) Prepare the syrup while the baklava is baking in the oven.
2 cups water
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup honey
1) Place all ingredients in a pan and stir occasionally over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
2) Bring to a boil and reduce heat for about 5-10 minutes.
3) Allow to cool.
1) After the baklava is removed from the oven, allow to cool thoroughly, approximately 1 hour.
2) Spoon syrup evenly between the cut lines.